LHA has intern positions available for Archives, Library and Information Science Students for 2023. In keeping with CDC advice for indoor activities, interns will be asked to split their time on and off site, working a minimum of 10 hours each week.
We require proof of vaccination including boosters. A mask mandate is in effect (N95 masks will be provided) and social distancing will be maintained.
- Imaging & Metadata Rehousing: Graphics, Buttons, Videos, T-Shirts, Banners
- Archival Processing: Music (Legacy Formats), Special Collections, Periodicals, Unpublished Papers
- Event Planning: Assisting with plans for LGBTQ History Month, Black History Month, Women’s History Month and LGBT Pride 2023
- Completion of first full semester of MSLIS core courses
- Interest in best practices in archival processing, metadata development, digital libraries and access services
- Demonstrated interest in lesbian history and activism
- Comfort working with archival materials of a sexual nature.
- Ability to work remotely, independently and maintain regular communication via gchat, email and attend weekly virtual meetings.
Experience with Microsoft Office 365, Excel, Google Suite or Zoho Workspace; Airtable, Dublin Core (online training provided)
Applications must be sent to[email protected]and must include a Resume andCover Letter demonstrating your interest in lesbian studies and archival practices. One document combined as a PDF. Applications that do not meet these requirements will not be reviewed.
About The Lesbian Herstory Archives
All-volunteer-run since its inception in 1974, The Lesbian Herstory Archives is home to the world’s oldest and largest collection of archival, bibliographic and multimedia materials by and about the diverse lesbian experience. LHA is 501(c)3 , non-profit educational organization with no paid staff and no local or federal government support. We rely solely upon individual donations and private foundation support. We offer research assistance to academics, artists, filmmakers, authors, individuals and classes. During non-pandemic times, we also provide tours, exhibits, in-house events and a semester-long Lesbian Studies course. Due to the pandemic, LHA has limited, short-term research/visiting hours available by appointment.
We look forward to receiving your applications.
Désirée Yael Vester, MLIS
Caretaker, Librarian, Archivist
Lesbian Herstory Archives (LHEF, Inc.)