The Information Literacy Section (ILS) of IFLA is excited to invite you to join our webinar in part of the IFLA WLIC 2022 Conference*, “Engaging Library Professionals in Research and Practice about Critical Pedagogy and Social Justice in Librarianship.”
Social justice design has much to offer to librarians, and critical pedagogy is a way to implement it, because critical pedagogy incorporates inclusive and reflective teaching for aims of social justice. It provides mechanisms for students to evaluate their social, political, and economic standing, and to question societal norms and how these norms perpetuate societal injustices.
Join us on June 15 to converse about how we can integrate social justice design into one’s work, in theory and in practice, and then identify the potential advantages and difficulties of doing so.
Webinar Date: June 15, 1:00 pm New York Time, EDT
Webinar Agenda (Program time is in New York Time):
- 1:00 pm/13:00: Introduction
- 1:05 to 1:20 pm/13:05 – 13:20
- Scholarly and Research Capabilities: A Social Justice Driven Programme,by Reggie Raju, Deputy Director, Research and Learning Services, Jamiee Reid, Librarian, Undergraduate Support, and Jill Claassen, Manager, Scholarly Communication and Research, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
- 1:20 to 1:35 pm/13:20 – 13:35
- Conversations That Matter: Engaging Library Employees in DEI and Cultural Humility Reflection, by Angel Truesdale, Assistant Professor, Social Sciences and Business Librarian, Abby Moore, Education Librarian, Chrisin Lampkowski, Emerging Technologies Librarian, and Kim Looby, Instruction & Information Literacy Librarian, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
- 1:35 to 1:50 pm/13:35 – 13:50
- Critical Library Instruction Today: An Introduction and Call to Action, by Eamon Tewell, Head of Research Support and Outreach for Columbia University’s Science, Engineering, & Social Science Libraries, Columbia University, New York City, New York, USA
- 1:50 to 2:05 pm/13:50 – 14:05
- Social Justice Design and Open Pedagogy, by Stephanie Robertson, Outreach Librarian, Joseph F. Smith Library, Assistant Professor, Brigham Young University–Hawaii, Laie, Hawaii, USA
- 2:05 – 2:25 pm/14:05 – 14:25: Live Q&A with presenters
- 2:25 – 2:30 pm/14:25 – 14:30 Wrap up
Registration is required at https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_D0mjUjzyTB2RrTcCfxrc8w
A certificate of attendance will be delivered upon request.
IFLA WLIC 2022 ILS Pre-Conference Webinar Planning Team
- Md. Shahajada Masud Anowarul Haque, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Hernandez, email@example.com
- Jennifer Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caroline Péron, email@example.com
- Ning Zou, Chair ILS (2021-23), firstname.lastname@example.org
*In order to make this year’s ILS program inclusive and accessible, we’re replacing the in-person session with this Pre-Conference webinar, given that many of our members are unable to attend the WLIC 2022 in person.