DEPARTMENT: YOUTH SERVICES
POSITION TITLE: ASSISTANT PROGRAM SUPERVISOR
REPORTS TO: YOUTH SERVICES COORDINATOR
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Manages daily operations, performs complex office work, and conducts special projects related to the activities of youth services.
- Updates information and databases on Youth Services webpages, blogs, and the Youth Services section of the Gateway, including electronic versions of memorandum and database lists.
- Creates, maintains, and updates email distribution lists for children and YA librarians.
- Creates and moderates youth services kits in SCLS Lending Library.
- Collects, records, and compiles statistical information.
- Organizes financial information, creates purchase orders based on YS Coordinator and YS Consultant orders.
- Prepares memoranda and other correspondence for electronic and physical distribution, as generated by the YS Consultant and YS Coordinator.
- Answers the telephone, answers basic departmental questions and refers appropriate calls to the YS Consultant or the YS Coordinator.
- Retrieves, circulates, and maintains requested materials.
- Plans and executes the annual Performers’ Showcase with supervision of YS Coordinator.
- Maintains the electronic program resource files for the county as well as the Long Island division of the NYS Performer’s Database.
- Maintains and adds information supplied by the YS Consultant or YS Coordinator to the department’s social media sites.
- Prepares and oversees projects for youth services support staff.
- Assumes responsibilities for activities of the department in absence of the Coordinator & Consultant.
- Schedules meetings using online registration software.
- Creates and organizes materials for events such as the Battle of the Books, Youth Services workshops, symposia, etc.
- Creates and sends packets for Hospital Program as needed to libraries participating in this monthly visitation program.
- Maintains and provides access to a review collection of new books from publishers, pertaining to Youth Services.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Publisher, Excel, and Access.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the County OPAC and Live-brary.com.
- Good knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Good organizational abilities and capable of maintaining and keeping accurate records.
- Ability to work independently with interruptions and to complete work by a designated deadline.
- Ability to deal courteously with staff and the public in person or by telephone.
- Ability to maintain WordPress, Blogger, or other websites for Battle of the Books, Performer’s Showcase, and Authors Unlimited.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor of Arts or equivalent education.
- Demonstrated experience with computer hardware and software applications.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training sufficient to indicate the ability to complete assigned tasks.
1. Experience in a Youth Services department of a public library.