ANTIQUE BOAT MUSEUM
Part-time year round 24 hrs/week
Reports to: Curator/Collections Manager
The Antique Boat Museum has a rich library and archives that supports Museum programming, exhibitions, and fulfills hundreds of research requests annually. All library work is currently conducted by volunteers. Recognizing this as an area of growth and need, the Museum is creating a more professional position to help address our expanding demand for library and archival work.
This position would be ideal for an individual with a master’s degree in library/information science, or museum studies (or equivalent experience), who has an interest in digitization, cataloging, and registrar work. The candidate should be detail-oriented, work well with others, and be self-motivated and work with limited supervision after appropriate training.
Physical requirements: Must be able to lift 40lbs, use step ladder, and lift above head.
· Process new materials and donations including books, audiovisual materials, photographs, periodicals using PastPerfect software.
· Sort books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
· Locate library materials for patrons and staff, and conduct all research requests the Museum receives. This includes scanning, photocopying materials and conducting payments over the phone.
· Assist curatorial staff with exhibition research.
· Track and renew all library magazine subscriptions as needed.
· Track loaned or exhibited archival materials by excellent record keeping.
· Instruct patrons/volunteers on how to use reference sources, card catalogs, and automated information systems.
· Maintain records of items received, stored, issued, and returned, and file catalog cards according to system used.
· Perform clerical activities such as updating finding aides, filing, typing, word processing, photocopying and mailing out materials as needed.
· Continue to maintain, review, and refine collections of books, periodicals, magazines, and audiovisual and other materials.
· Address and continue to organize library and archival spaces and outstanding projects.
· Supervise all seasonal library volunteers and assign appropriate projects.
· Continue efforts with the ABM digitization initiative by scanning photo collection into PastPerfect and/or writing relating metadata.
· Facilitate the acquisition of books, pamphlets, periodicals, and audiovisual materials by checking prices, figuring costs, and preparing appropriate order forms.
· Monitor library and archive climate control HVAC system.
· Keep track of museum library news, policies, and trends.
· Master’s degree (preferred) in Library Science or related field
· 1-3 years archival experience
· Computer skills including Microsoft office and email.
· Reach, lift, carry, push, and pull for placement of archival boxes, rolls, etc…
· Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds.
· Excellent customer service and positive attitude to provide the best experience for members and researchers.
How to Apply
E-mail resume, cover letter, and three references: Debbie Putnam email@example.com
Or mail to: Antique Boat Museum
750 Mary St.
Clayton, NY 13624