Job Description: Student Worker
Job Title: Student Worker (part-time 20 hours per week)
Department/Campus: Davis Library; SJU Manhattan Campus
Requirements: Candidates must be a currently enrolled at SJU with an interest in working in a specialized library collection. A student must also be in full-time attendance at St. John’s University. A full-time student is any undergraduate student who is registered for a minimum of 12 credits or any graduate student who is registered for a minimum of nine credits
Responsibilities: The student worker is given responsibilities and projects that he/she can handle. This includes working on one specific area or splitting his/her time between the following areas of responsibility
I. Special Collections/Archives: Assist in the maintenance of Insurance Policies Archive Database: The archive is an extensive collection of unique and historical insurance policies and documents tracing the development of insurance terminology and contracts since 1665. Database maintenance may include:
- Adding new records and editing existing records to the database.
- Subdividing chronologically and assigning location call number to the policies.
- Maintaining authority control for insurance companies names.
- Searching in the vertical file for additional policies to add to the database
II. Cataloging: Create original cataloguing records (descriptive only) for insurance “gray literature.”
III. Reference Services: Under the guidance of the
Library’s Staff, provide reference services to
all appropriate library constituencies. Reference services are provided in person and by
phone, email or fax. This may include:
- Assisting patrons with library access services
- Providing circulation services and materials handling/sorting/organizing incoming library material.
- Providing bibliographic instruction in the use of traditional and digital information resources.
IV. Web Development: Assist in editing and maintaining content and lists of useful links for specific pages on Davis web site.
V. Other duties or projects as assigned.
Days/Hours: Hours range from 15 ‑ 20 hours/week during normal library operation schedule; Monday- Friday and occasional weekends; non-exempt.
Duration: The position coincides with the academic calendar, (17 weeks per semester) September-December/January-May.