THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY
60 West Walton Street Chicago, Illinois 60610-7324 (312) 943-9090
Manuscripts and Archives Internship
TITLE: Midwest Dance and Theater Collections Intern
DEPARTMENT: Department of Maps and Modern Manuscripts
This 15 week internship is funded by a private donor. Working in the Department of Maps and Modern Manuscripts under the supervision of Newberry archivists, the Midwest Dance and Theater Collections Intern will participate in preserving, arranging, re-housing, and describing Chicago dance, performing arts, and theater archives and manuscript collections.
Under the supervision of Newberry archivists, the intern will participate in the following archival activities:
- Arrange and re-house materials in Chicago dance, performing arts, and theater collections according to archival practice.
- Apply appropriate preservation treatments to collection materials. Treatments include, but are not limited to, surface cleaning, flattening, removal of fasteners, and photocopying.
- Prepare detailed descriptive inventories for collections in a format compatible with the archival professional standard, Encoded Archival Description (EAD).
- Participate in identifying analog audio-visual formats in the collections, preparing them for digitization, and creating metadata.
- Conduct research related to the library’s dance, performing arts, and theater collections.
Graduate student in a master’s program in library and information sciences and/or public history with coursework in archival processing required. Effective oral and written communication skills, experience working with primary sources, ability to work independently and collaboratively, ability to shelve and lift archival boxes, and familiarity with computer applications required. Academic focus on dance and theater history of Chicago and the Midwest preferred. This position is ideal for an individual intending to work with primary sources as part of an academic career, or exploring the possibilities of archival work.
SCHEDULE: 150 hours (typically 10 hours/per week for 15 weeks).
DATES: Fall semester, with start date in mid-September.
SALARY: $12.50 per hour.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Judy Rayborn (email@example.com)
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610
Please visit our Web site at www. Newberry.org
THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER