The Wyandanch Public Library (WPL) has an opening for a dynamic Children’s Librarian to become part of our library team. Located in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, Wyandanch Public Library values quality services to fulfill the educational, informational, cultural, and recreational needs of the entire community.
Under the supervision of the Librarian II, the Children’s librarian works as part of the WPL team and performs essential library work with a concentration on service to children (ages birth-12). The incumbent will be responsible for taking the led for all children services for this suburban library, which serves a diverse population of 12,000 residents.
This position requires professional knowledge of children services, high self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively, and the passion for working in diverse communities.
• Develops, maintains, and promotes the children’s collection.
• Plans, conducts, schedules, and evaluates age-appropriate programs
• Maintains the attractive appearance of the children’s room/area
• Acts as an advocate for children and their educational and social needs within the library and engages in work with schools, childcare centers and other local agencies that work with children
• Periodically provides reference services to all age groups
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school; the ability to receive a Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate issued by the State of New York
• General experience working with the public in diverse communities
• Knowledge of children’s literature and programming as well as child development
• English (required); Bilingual skills highly desirable
The successful candidate must be
available to work evening as well as weekend hours
Job Type: Full-time (Provisional)
Please submit a meaningful cover letter along with your resume, and the names of three current references to:
Edwin B. Maxwell, Director
Wyandanch Public Library
14 South 20th Street Wyandanch, NY 11798 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is Monday, January 14th, 2019.