The University of Southern Mississippi
Head of Technical Services/Associate Professor
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position as Head of Technical Services/Associate Professor, in the University Libraries to begin early 2019.
Under the general supervision of the Dean of University Libraries, the incumbent has leadership responsibility for the supervision and administration of technical services, which includes acquisitions, cataloging, collection management, serials and electronic resources, gifts management, and processing and preservation, while holding tenure or tenure-track faculty status and rank.
· Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or an equivalent degree.
· Demonstrated supervisory experience for at least five years over full-time and other staff in a technical services department.
· Demonstrated scholarship, professional development, and service record for promotion at the rank of Associate Professor.
· Demonstrated successful budget management experience.
· Experience with library services platforms, such as Ex Libris Alma and discovery systems such as Ex Libris Primo.
· Earned second graduate degree.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
· Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of collection management; knowledge of current collection development issues and trends at academic and research libraries, including an understanding of emerging information technology and its applications for collection development.
· Demonstrated knowledge of acquisitions procedures, current and future cataloging standards and data management technology, and serials and electronic resources management, including negotiation and licensing issues.
· Demonstrated excellent leadership qualities including strong interpersonal and public communication skills.
· Proficiencies and knowledge in library and information technologies related to technical services.
Salary and Rank
Minimum starting annual salary is $68,000 and commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Priority will be given to applications received by November 6, 2018.
A job description of this tenure-track position and a link to the application form can be found here: https://usm.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=335&site=1
If you have any questions about the position, Southern Miss, or Hattiesburg, please contact Jennifer Brannock, search committee chair, at Jennifer.Brannock@usm.edu.
University Libraries at Southern Miss
University Libraries provides a dynamic physical and virtual learning environment that supports the intellectual development and creativity of the University community. Joseph Anderson Cook Library, William David McCain Library and Archives, the Gulf Coast Library, and the Gunter Library at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory offer services that meet information needs and support the research, teaching, learning and service of the University’s faculty, staff and students. An extensive website provides access to the Libraries’ holdings, including full-text and article databases, electric journals and books, and digitized collections and services, such a reference and research assistance, tutorials and document delivery.
University Libraries at the University of Southern Mississippi expends a $2.5 million-dollar budget for materials annually. The collection contains 1.8 million volumes plus special and archival collections in a wide range of formats, housed on the Hattiesburg and Gulf Coast campuses.
For more information about University Libraries, go to http://lib.usm.edu.
Home to The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg blends a college town atmosphere with an upscale entertainment district downtown and numerous outdoor opportunities. This diverse community offers a unique cultural and intellectual atmosphere, with many opportunities to engage in stimulating activities and events, including college sports, the performing arts, and cultural resources. Dining opportunities abound, particularly local flavors such as New Orleans-style seafood, fried catfish and barbecue.
The city has been recognized by numerous publication and rankings as a retirement destination because of the area’s amenities, low cost of living, and strong healthcare services. Did I mention that the beach is an hour away, and New Orleans is 90 minutes south of Hattiesburg? There are also five airports and an Amtrak station nearby that make travel easy.
To learn more about what Hattiesburg has to offer, go to https://www.visithburg.org.