Job Title: Access Services Librarian, Instructor/Assistant Professor
Location: NYC College of Technology, CUNY
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Ursula C. Schwerin Library at New York City College of Technology, CUNY, seeks a tenure-track library faculty member at the Instructor or Assistant Professor rank to serve as Access Services Librarian. The successful candidate will manage, support, and evaluate library circulation and reserve services, working with colleagues in the library and at the college and university. The Access Services Librarian will also offer reference service and be responsible for designated areas of collection development. All members of the library faculty must maintain a record of excellence in librarianship, scholarly achievement, and service. The Ursula C. Schwerin Library is committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.
The Access Services Librarian will:
- Coordinate, develop, and evaluate all library materials circulation services, policies, workflows, and procedures.
- Manage and administer the library’s print reserve services, and research and develop a plan for electronic reserves.
- Coordinate and evaluate stacks maintenance operations.
- Supervise 4-5 technical support staff as well as part-time library assistants.
- Provide comprehensive reference consultation to members of the college community in person and online.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of resources in general reference areas and degree fields.
- Work as subject specialist in assigned areas to evaluate, select, and deselect library materials.
- Responsibilities include website content creation in areas of specialization and consultation with subject faculty regarding resources and services, including information literacy and instruction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution
- A second master’s degree OR doctorate is required for appointment as Assistant Professor; if appointed as Instructor, the candidate will be expected to complete an additional graduate degree within 5 years (CUNY tuition remission is available)
- Experience in library access services or related field
- Supervisory experience
- An interest in scholarship or creative achievement appropriate for a tenure-track position
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities, a commitment to collaboration and mutual respect, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and committees in our multicultural library and college/university community
- Experience working in an academic or research library
- Background, experience, or degree in STEM fields, especially health sciences or engineering technologies
- Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication, including open access publishing and open educational resources
- Familiarity with assessment practices in libraries and higher education
- Familiarity with Ex Libris products, OCLC, or related products
- Experience with systems migrations projects
New York City College of Technology (City Tech), City University of New York, is the largest public baccalaureate college of technology in the Northeast. The college awards both associate and baccalaureate degrees that allow graduates to pursue careers in the architectural and engineering technologies, the computer, entertainment, and health professions, human services, advertising and publishing, hospitality, business, and law-related professions, as well as programs in career and technical teacher education.
City Tech’s Ursula C. Schwerin Library is integral to the educational mission of the college, and fosters connections with and supports students, faculty, and staff in their academic pursuits. Library faculty and staff are committed to student success as we implement and acquire those services and resources that will have the greatest positive impact on the diverse City Tech community. As members of an academic department in the college, library faculty at City Tech and CUNY are represented by the Professional Staff Congress union (http://psc-cuny.org).
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should provide a cover letter, CV, statement of scholarly interests, and contact information for three references as one document.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with review of applications to begin 30 days after posting.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.