From an email:
2018 June 18
We are pleased to announce the launch of a new journal, Research on Diversity in Youth Literature. RDYL is a peer reviewed, online, open access journal hosted by St. Catherine University’s Master of Library and Information Science Program and Library, and is co-edited by Sarah Park Dahlen (St. Catherine University) and Gabrielle Atwood Halko (West Chester University). Our Editorial and Advisory Board members represent the fields of Library and Information Science, Education, English Studies, the publishing industry, and beyond.
Research on Diversity in Youth Literature’s mission is to publish scholarship attending to issues of diversity, equity, social justice, inclusion, and intersectionality in youth literature, culture, and media.
Issue 1.1 is themed “Mirrors and Windows” (Bishop) and includes the following essays by #OwnVoices (Duyvis) scholars:
- “Imagining New Hopescapes: Expanding Black Girls’ Windows and Mirrors” by S. R. Toliver
- “‘Like Raindrops on Granite’: A Dialogic Analysis of Full Cicada Moon as Crossover Scholarship” by Michelle H. Martin and J. Elizabeth Mills
- “Queer Christian Voices in YA Literature: A Scholar’s Account of #OwnVoices Positioning in the 21st Century” by Robert Bittner
- “‘Seemingly on the inside … but really on the outside’: Reading for Mirrors in Mexican Whiteboy” by Cristina Rhodes
- “Unsettling Representations of Identities: A Critical Review of Diverse Youth Literature” by E. Sybil Durand and Marilisa Jiménez-García
Please also see our Editorial Board statement, Co-editors’ Introduction and review of Macarena García-González’ Origin Narratives: The Stories We Tell Children about Immigration and Transnational Adoption by Jenny Heijun Wills.
RDYL 1.2 will be published in two parts. For Part One, we welcome submissions from any discipline as they relate to our mission. Part Two is a special forum titled “Life, Death, and Activism In Youth Media and Culture,” guest edited by writer, emerging scholar, and RDYL advisory board member Breanna McDaniel. You may download our full CFP here.
Please share widely among your networks!
Sarah Park Dahlen
Gabrielle Atwood Halko