LIBRARIAN, LEAVE REPLACEMENT- UPPER DIVISION, NEW YORK (GRADES 5-12)
at Avenues: The World School (View all jobs)
Position: Librarian, Leave Replacement – Upper Division (Grades 5-12)
Location: New York, NY
Why Teach at Avenues?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration here isn’t a buzzword: it’s woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we’re always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
The Upper Division Librarian will instill a deep embedded love of reading and research across a wide variety of students in age and ability. They will support the library program from grades 5-12 to augment every student’s academic programming and provide rich literacy initiatives to expose all students to various works and authors. Inspiring a love of reading, research and information literacy, the UD librarian works with students, and teachers to ensure that students can harness their curiosity and dive into self driven learning. And you will also:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Work closely with Director of Library Services on various initiatives (Project Cicero, Book Fair, author programming, operational activities, etc.)
- Provide the appropriate resources and instruction on how to fully engage with the library’s vast digital collection for research and inquiry
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to develop interdisciplinary projects and continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
What You’ll Bring
Librarians at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice
- Strong content knowledge: several years of experience in library science, with expertise in all genres of middle grade, young adult, and adult literature for grades 6-12,
- Strong technology skills as it relates to informational technology
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.