Please join us for the upcoming Outreach Services programs and meetings at SCLS.. Unless otherwise specified, all library administration and staff are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Please note: the meetings on May 8th and October 9th are for Library Administrators only. Thank you.
- April 17th – SCLS Outreach Services Advisory Council – 10:00 to Noon – Developing outreach resources and services for Suffolk County Libraries. All are welcome!!!
- April 24th – Music and Memory – 10:00 to Noon – Join us to learn about this unique outreach program for people living at home with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. If you are new to learning about Music and Memory or your library is already offering this to the community, we need your input and feedback!! All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- May 4th – SEE FOR YOURSELF 2018: Assistive Technology and Resource Fair for People who are Blind or Visually Impaired (All Day at SCLS) Visit anytime between 9:00 and 3:00) This event highlights resources and services for people living with vision loss. The event is free and open to the public. Library administration and staff are encouraged to visit and learn about the many products that will make your library accessible to people with disabilities.
- May 7th – Bleeding Control and Tourniquet Training – 10:00 to Noon – Learn how to “stop the bleed” in an emergency situation. This is a truly hands-on workshop. Please wear casual clothing. Registration is Required.
- May 8th – Library Administrators — County-wide Preparedness Partnership for Emergency Preparedness/Recovery/Resilience – 10:00 to Noon – Library Administrators are invited to this roundtable discussion with Joel Vetter (Suffolk County Fire Rescue and Emergency Services) We need your input and feedback!!
- May 15th – Mental Health Awareness Week Planning Program – 10:00 to Noon – Join Mike Stoltz, Executive Director for the Association for Mental Health and Wellness, to discuss the many different ways that your library can participate in Mental Health Awareness Week (October 7th – 13th) This meeting will give you time to plan for events in October. This will offer many ways to meet the needs in your community.
- May 16th – Healthcare Awareness Through Library Outreach (HATLO) meeting – 10:00 to Noon – This quarterly meeting brings together library staff and representatives from various health care related organizations and agencies, in an effort to share health related resources and services throughout the county.
- June 12th – Talking Book Library Service – 10:00 to Noon – The National Library Service Talking Book program is the only truly accessible library service for people with disabilities. Join us to learn about the many ways to offer this library service to your patrons with disabilities.
- June 19th – Narcan Training – 10:00 to Noon – Registration is Required
- September 19th – NNLM Webinar – Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Basics for Public Libraries. Watch for registration.
- September 26th – 10:00 to Noon — Healthcare Awareness Through Library Outreach (HATLO) meeting (see description above)
- October 2nd – 10:00 to Noon – Veterans Resources on Long Island. Join presenters from the Northport VA and the Joseph P. Dwyer Peer Support Project to learn about the many Veterans services and programs on Long Island.
- October 9th – 10:00 to Noon – Library Administrators Mental Health Roundtable – Mike Stoltz, Executive Director for the Association for Mental Health and Wellness with offer suggestions to meet the needs of people living with mental health disabilities.
- October 10th – 10:00 to Noon – Opioid/Substance Abuse Awareness Workshop – Stephanie Sloan, Drug Abuse Educator from the Suffolk County Department of Community Mental Hygiene Services, will provide an overview of the opioid/substance abuse crisis in Suffolk County.
- October 16th – 10:00 to Noon – SCLS Outreach Services Advisory Council Meeting (see above description)
- October 23rd – 10:00 to 1:00pm – Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office/Gang Intelligence Unit Presentation for Library Security and Custodial staff
- November 13th – 10:00 to Noon – Music and Memory Customized Music Therapy Program for People Living with Alzheimer’s and other Dementias. (see above description)