Part-Time Entry Level Librarians / Trainee Positions Available
The South Huntington Public Library is seeking enthusiastic, friendly and creative librarians or librarian trainees to fill two part-time positions in the Youth Services Department. The successful candidates should possess a strong interest and knowledge of children’s and teen literature, technology and youth programming. Hours will include evenings and weekends. Flexibility is a plus. The starting salary for a Librarian I is $29.66. The starting salary for a Librarian Trainee with a minimum of six credits towards a library degree is $24.07.
- Provide reference, research and readers advisory service in a busy Youth Services Department, including the Children’s and Teen areas.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources and technology.
- Assist with the facilitating and planning of youth programs.
Qualifications for Librarian I:
- MLS from an ALA accredited library school or completion of a minimum of six credits towards a library degree.
- Minimum of twelve (12) credits of course work in children’s services, including at least three (3) credits in children’s literature.
- Understanding of proactive customer service.
- Desire to work in a diverse community.
- A strong desire to work with children and teens.
- Ability to work independently as well as successfully on a team.
- Proficiency/Fluency in Spanish a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule is required.
Interested candidates may apply in writing by sending an application and resume to:
Janet Scherer, Assistant Director
South Huntington Public Library
145 Pidgeon Hill Road
Huntington Station, NY 11746
or fax: 631.547.6912
The South Huntington Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.