Call for Proposals
LACUNY Institute 2018: Librarianship in Challenging Times: Advocating for Intellectual Freedom, Democracy, and Equity
Friday May 11, 2018 | John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York (CUNY)
Submission Deadline: Friday February 16, 2018
Poster session deadline: Friday March 2, 2018
Submission Form: https://tinyurl.com/LACUNY-Inst-2018-CFP
Web Site : https://2018lacunyinst.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
The LACUNY Institute is an annual, one-day conference open to LIS professionals, students, and the general public. It is organized by the Library Association of the City University of New York (LACUNY), and although geared to academic librarians, it strives to have broad relevance to the profession.
In a time of a polarized political climate, economic uncertainty, and social inequity, how can libraries actively support themselves and their communities? How can we advocate for ourselves and for communities we serve? What is our role in upholding democratic values of intellectual freedom, free speech, and free expression? How can we resist fascism, misinformation, and censorship? How can libraries foster inclusivity and empower the disenfranchised?
We invite proposals addressing this year’s conference theme, Librarianship in Challenging Times: Advocating for Intellectual Freedom, Democracy, and Equity.
Example topics include, but are not limited to:
- The librarian as advocate
- Inclusive librarianship
- The role of technology in upholding library values
- The politicization of (mis)information
- Digital privacy
- Intellectual freedom
Types of proposals:
- Panel discussion (15 minutes/presenter): Moderated panel presentations with time for questions and discussion.
- Interactive presentation (45 minutes): Teams of two lead a discussion on topic of their choice related to the theme, with one person presenting context and the other facilitating conversation.
- Alt-sessions (15-30 minutes): An opportunity for exploring topics through multiple ways of knowing (e.g., short documentary, spoken word, performance art).
- Poster sessions
Please submit proposals by February 16, 2018
Submission Form : https://tinyurl.com/LACUNY-Inst-2018-CFP
LACUNY Institute 2018 Planning Committee
Nora Almeida, New York City College of Technology, CUNY
Linda Miles, Hostos Community College, CUNY
Anne O’Reilly, LaGuardia Community College, CUNY
Ryan Phillips, Baruch College, CUNY
Mark Aaron Polger, College of Staten Island, CUNY
Meredith Powers, York College, CUNY
Maureen Richards, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY
Alexandra Rojas, LaGuardia Community College, CUNY
Junior Tidal, New York City College of Technology, CUNY
Simone Yearwood, Queens College, CUNY