Kent State University School of Information
Reinberger Children’s Library Center and the Marantz Picturebook Collection for the Study of Picturebook Art
2nd Bi-Annual Marantz Picturebook Research Symposium
Comics and the Graphic Narrative: The Future of the Movement
August 5-7, 2018
Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
Keynotes: Carol Tilley, PhD; Graphic Artist, Rafael Rosado
Other notable speakers to come!
This call for proposals seeks original, interdisciplinary research in areas related to comics and graphic novels.
The Committee especially encourages presentations and research in the following formats:
- Twenty-minute presentations followed by 10 minutes of discussion
- Panel submissions comprised of three 20-minute presentations followed by 20 minutes of discussion (or four 15-minute presentations followed by 15 minutes of discussion)
Prospective participants should submit abstracts that report on recent research and scholarship. Contributions to this call for papers may not have been previously published, and all research methodologies from all disciplines are welcomed.
January 15, 2018: Deadline to submit abstracts
March 1, 2018: Notification of acceptance
Once selected, presenters are responsible for their own expenses related to the conference, including but not limited to registration fees, lodging, transportation and meals.
Students are encouraged to participate.
Possible topics, as related to the conference theme, include (but are not limited to):
- Cultural constructions of comics and graphic novels
- Reaching diverse readers via comics and graphic novels
- Historical perspectives on comics and graphic novels
- Visual history/storytelling in comic books and graphic novels
- Comics and graphic novels as propaganda directed at youth
- The future of comics and graphic novels
- Political issues in comics and graphic novels
Conference Program Co-chairs
Mary Anne Nichols, MLS
Marianne Martens, Ph.D.