As part of Code4Lib’s ongoing commitment to reducing economic barriers that prevent participation for underrepresented groups, and to achieving a balanced representation of the human experience, we are pleased to announce that we are now seeking applicants for our 2018 Diversity Scholarship program! The Code4Lib Scholarship Committee hopes to award 15 Diversity Scholarships, based on merit and need. Each scholarship will cover up to $1500 for travel costs, lodging, and conference fees for selected applicants to attend the 2018 Code4Lib Conferencein Washington, D.C.
The deadline for applications is November 17th at 11:59 PM ET (see below for more details).
The scholarship will cover conference registration and hotel accommodations up front to scholarship awardees. Other incidentals like travel and meals may be reimbursed based on the amount awarded. Reimbursement will be managed independently at the conference. Pairing up housing with other scholarship awardees or conference attendees may also be accommodated. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this arrangement. We want to ensure that financial issues do not discourage anyone from applying to this award.
We do not expect scholarship recipients to be responsible for being an ambassador for their group or an educator of others during the conference. While learning and exchange may happen as a result of interactions between participants, scholarship recipients are encouraged to focus on getting the most out of their experience and have no special duties or obligations apart from conference attendance, engaged participation to their comfort level, and giving us feedback on their experience.
Eligibility, Criteria, And Requirements
- An applicant must be a member of a group not well-represented within the code4lib community, including but not limited to: women, people of color, LGBTQ+, ability/disability, non-binary gender identities, etc. We also invite applications from members of underrepresented and/or marginalized groups that don’t fit into the categories listed above.
- An applicant must be interested in actively engaging with the Code4Lib community. For more information about Code4Lib, see the About Code4Lib Page.
- The scholarship recipients will be selected based upon their merit and financial needs.
Registration spots and hotel rooms are being held for scholarship recipients. If you can attend only if you receive a scholarship, there is no need to register for the conference or book a hotel room when registration opens. Code4Lib will assist you with both registration and hotel arrangements.
If you register for the conference or book a hotel room, you will be reimbursed along with other expenses. Reimbursement for expenses will be provided to recipients during the conference.
How to Apply
Submit your application materials via the Code4Lib online form: https://goo.gl/forms/Re2sJwXPjgi2mi2F2
You will need to prepare:
- A brief letter of interest, no more than 500 words, which:
- Identifies your eligibility for a diversity scholarship
- Describes how you see yourself benefiting from and participating in the Code4Lib 2018 conference and the general Code4Lib community
- Your current resume or CV
- Contact information for one reference who can speak to your professional goals and/or achievements
Please note: Your brief letter of interest and current CV/resume should be combined into a single PDF. Your file should follow a “Lastname-Firstname.pdf” naming convention. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is Nov 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM ET.
The scholarship committee will notify all applicants by Friday, December 1, 2017, regardless of award results.