Position Title: Data Specialist
Closing Date: March 22, 2016
Department: Technical Services
Classification: Senior Librarian
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Data Specialist is responsible for database maintenance, batch processes and trouble-shooting activities. Duties include performing record overlays, batch record edits and assisting team to maintain database accuracy. Serve on the team resolving technical issues with the library’s ILS, DAMS and metadata vendors.
- Maintain a running list of enhancements and bug fixes for these systems.
- Coordinate with ITD staff working to improve the library’s discovery layer.
- Be able to create and enhance MARC, VRA Core and EAD records.
- Coordinate with other staff to stay up-to-date on new developments and best practices in Technical Services. Perform other duties as required.
- Serve on a team preparing for the adoption of Bibframe and other linked data initiatives.
- Generate reports.
- ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree and eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian’s Certificate required. Experience with cataloging and database management preferred.
- Familiarity with metadata schemas and crosswalk creation for library and archival materials required. Previous experience with MARC and VRA Core cataloging, Microsoft Office Suite, MARC Edit, oXygen XML Editor, Perl, Virtua ILS and VITAL DAMS preferred. NACO and BIBCO experience and familiarity with XML preferred.
- Ability to perform independently, be self-motivated, and juggle multiple tasks with a positive attitude. Attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to work well as a team member. Willingness to adapt to new technologies and processes.
- Attention to detail and accuracy. Understanding of Bibframe, the Digital Public Library of America initiative, website development (PHP and other programming languages), and linked data preferred. Fluency in one of the international languages spoken in Queens preferred.
ABOUT QUEENS LIBRARY:
- Queens Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Innovation and leadership are the hall marks of Queens Library. Our mission is to meet the needs of the community by offering lifelong learning opportunities and ensuring there is a positive impact in the community. Queens Library fulfills its goals by embracing innovation and change. With a history of offering pioneering programs that meet the diverse needs of the most diverse county in the US, Queens Library is a place where innovation and leaders are welcomed. Queens Library is a private non-profit corporation located in Queens, New York and includes 65 service locations with 1,700 employees.
Queens Library is the proud recipient of the following awards: 2009 Library Journal, Library of the Year, 2014 ALA/Information Today, Library of the Future, 2013 ULC Top Innovators, 2013 American-Architect’s Building of the Year (Queens Library at Glen Oaks).
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Data Specialist” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.